JOB TITLE: Teamster
TERM: Permanent Part-Time
REPORTS TO: Head of Livestock
START DATE: Immediately
Assisting with all regular duties associated with livestock at Fort Steele Heritage Town, this position must be multi-talented ensuring the high quality of care our animals require and assist other departments with programs and events for our visitors. Ensuring public safety and maintaining excellent customer service is essential while conducting all duties.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Livestock, this person will:
• Act as an ambassador of Fort Steele Heritage town when dealing with the public.
• Groom, harness, and handle horses.
• Feed, water and perform basic animal care for an assortment of farm animals including horses, sheep, pigs, chickens, ducks, turkeys and goats.
• Drive draft horses on a variety of horse drawn wagons and farm implements.
• Assist with demonstrations and educational programming to school groups as well as the general public utilizing our livestock and turn-of-the-century equipment and techniques.
• Assist with preparations and performing for livestock programming to be hosted on or off-site from April to September 2015.
• Assist with preparation for and participation in parades and other off-site events.
• Assist with interpretive programming for the general public and during special events on-site.
• Assist with basic veterinary and hoof care duties under the guidance of the Head of Livestock.
• Maintain, clean, and repair livestock facilities and equipment
• Be willing to assist other departments as requested.
• Dress in period costume.
• Assist with other duties with regard to special events, tour groups, and other programming as requested.
• Study and learn the historical, political, economic and social information related to life in Western Canada in the 1890's.
Qualifications, experience and essential skills:
• Must be physically fit and able to safely lift 50 pounds.
• Previous experience handling and training horses for driving.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Be able to work well independently on several projects concurrently.
• Be flexible with scheduling.
• Like to work with children and the public in general.
• Computer knowledge is an asset.
• Enthusiastic and confident with excellent interpersonal and time management skills.
• Excellent oral and written communication, organizational and creative thinking skills.
• Able to work in a team environment.
• Valid driver's licence and own transportation.
• This post requires a Criminal Records Check and a "Fit to Work " Medical Assessment.
Conditions of Service:
Hours of work are 30-40 hours per week. Weekend, holiday and occasional evening work will be required. A cover letter and resume must be submitted by:
email: Info@FortSteele.bc.ca or by
mail: Fort Steele Heritage Town, 9851 Hwy 93/95, Fort Steele, BC V0B 1N0
This position is subject to a 3 month probationary period.