Steam Train Engineer
JOB TITLE: Steam Train Engineer
TERM: Seasonal (training will begin in May 2018)
REPORTS TO: Programming Manager
Steam Train Engineer
Safety Critical Position
- Responsible for the safe, efficient operation of the locomotive & train.
- Responsible for the performance of daily inspections of the complete train, locomotive, and rolling stock.
- Responsible for the lubrication and cleaning of the locomotive.
- Responsible for the lubrication of all car journal bearings.
- Responsible for taking fuel.
- Responsible for reporting all unusual activities, incidents, and conditions.
- Assists Fireman filling the tender with water and adding water treatment chemicals.
- Responsible for the completion of daily operating reports.
- Communicates efficiently and clearly with railway staff.
- Supervises the Firemen and any other staff or volunteers on the locomotive.
- Trains new personnel in the area. Assists with the training of new Firemen. Trains Firemen in the Engineer’s position when they are deemed ready.
- Operates the train in accordance with the Conductor’s instructions.
- Has the final say in regards to safety and mechanical considerations whether or not the locomotive operates.
- Must maintain current certification as Steam Locomotive Engineer and Canadian Railway Operating Rules.
- Must maintain current medical info on file.
- Must be familiar with British Columbia Safety Authority rules and procedures.
- Must be knowledgeable of all Fort Steele Steam Railway procedures.
- Must have pleasant attitude and proper presentation when dealing with the public.
- Must wear proper attire.
- Preference may be given to previous/retired CPR/CN employees.
Conditions of Service:
This is a seasonal position. Hours of work range from 20-40 hours per week. Weekend, holiday and occasional evening work will be required. A cover letter and resume must be submitted by:
mail: Fort Steele Heritage Town, 9851 Hwy 93/95, Fort Steele, BC V0B 1N0
or fax: 250-489-2624
This position is contingent upon the receipt of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check and subject to a 3 month probationary period.
Selected candidates must be able to pass the federal safety critical position medical report.