Fireman (Steam Train)
JOB TITLE: Fireman (Steam Train)
TERM: Seasonal (training will begin in May 2018)
REPORTS TO: Programming Manager
Safety Critical Position
- Works under the direction of the Engineer.
- Responsible for firing the locomotive safely and efficiently to maintain steam pressure. Must keep black smoke to a minimum.
- Responsible for the operation & lubrication of the air compressor and turbo-generator.
- Responsible for keeping the interior of the cab clean, including cleaning the windows and polishing the brass.
- Assists the Engineer with lubricating and cleaning the locomotive.
- Responsible for keeping all oil pots full with the correct lubricant.
- Responsible for the proper addition of water treatment chemicals and the testing of boiler and feed water.
- Responsible for maintaining the salt level in the water softener (daily check).
- Trains new employees and volunteers in the fireman’s position.
- Must maintain Fort Steele Firemans certification.
- Must maintain Canadian Railway Operating Rules certification.
- Must maintain a current medical certificate on file.
- Responsible for filling the tender with water.
- Assists the Engineer when taking fuel.
- Connects and disconnects rail cars as required including the application and release of hand brakes.
- Throws switches as required for the safe passage of the train over the yard and mainline tracks.
- Must be knowledgeable of all Fort Steele Steam Railway procedures.
- Must have pleasant attitude and proper presentation when dealing with the public.
- Must wear proper attire.
- Preference may be given to previous/retired CPR/CN employees.
Conditions of Service:
This is a seasonal position. Hours of work range from 20-40 hours per week. Weekend, holiday and occasional evening work will be required. A cover letter and resume must be submitted by:
mail: Fort Steele Heritage Town, 9851 Hwy 93/95, Fort Steele, BC V0B 1N0
or fax: 250-489-2624
This position is contingent upon the receipt of a satisfactory Criminal Records Check and subject to a 3 month probationary period.
Selected candidates must be able to pass the federal safety critical position medical report.