JOB TITLE: Blacksmith Assistant/Apprentice
TERM: Seasonal, Full Time
REPORTS TO: Head Blacksmith
START DATE: May 2018
END DATE: September 2018
Blacksmiths will work with the Head Blacksmith in operating the smithy and creating items for retail sale, and tools for the shop itself.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work cooperatively in smithy with others.
- Work alone in smithy when needed.
- Perform retail transaction of goods to public.
- Dress in period costume.
- Learn and be able to explain proper use of tools, smithing history, and Fort Steele History to public and tourists when necessary.
- Must be physically fit, as you will be working on your feet the majority of the time.
- Must be able to safely lift 50lbs.
- Must be flexible with scheduling.
- Manual dexterity.
- Enthusiasm and confidence with metalwork.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to changing schedules and aid in different areas of the Fort when needed.
- Enthusiastic attitude towards smithing.
- Ability to learn new skills quickly.
- Previous metalwork experience through school or hobbies is an asset, but not required.
- Valid driver’s license and own transportation.
- Requires Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening.
Conditions of Service:
Hours of work can be up to 35-40 hours per week. Weekend, holiday and occasional evening work will be required. A cover letter and resume must be submitted by:
mail: Fort Steele Heritage Town, 9851 Hwy 93/95, Fort Steele, BC V0B 1N0
or fax: 250-489-2624
Fort Steele Heritage Town would like to thank all who apply, but only the candidates who are being considered will be contacted.