The Theatre Manager will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of facility management and program development of historic entertainment for Fort Steele Heritage Town and the Wild Horse Theatre. Additionally the manager will be responsible for overseeing the theatre department, for supervision of all staff and volunteers. The Theatre Manager will also act as the Technical Director for the Wild Horse Theatre.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for planning, development, implementation and management of a variety of programs/entertainment venues for Fort Steele Heritage Town and the Wild Horse Theatre
• Work closely with the Marketing Coordinator to promote the theatre division
• Responsible for carrying out the theatre component of tour activities. Collaborate with other departments in the activities associated with the group tours and theatre rentals
• The Theatre Manager will review and will be responsible for final approval of the following; planning of forthcoming events, including applying knowledge of audiences, ensuring a balance between different types of productions/living history street theatre, being aware of which productions have been well received elsewhere
• Researching and networking with other theatre managers and producers in order to stay up to date with developments and new productions
• Networking with local industry, local communities, educational organizations, relevant bodies and the public
• Working with community theatre groups to collaborate on various acts/performances
• Identifying and cultivating volunteer support and involvement with the Manager of Human Resources and Volunteer Services
• Overseeing and managing the activities of the contracted actors, staff, students and volunteers including leading, supervising, training and evaluation
• Supervise set-up, operation and strike of all lighting, sound, rigging, special effects equipment and fly-rail
• Oversee set construction and stage properties including design, purchasing materials, construction and operation thereof
• Conducting auditions for specific performances and ensuring actors are clear on interpretation of scripts, speech, movement for performances
• Ensures theatre equipment is in good working order, undergoes regular inspections and maintenance checks and that all equipment is properly cleaned, stored and organized
• Ensuring that the theatre meets the requirements of legislation such as health, safety and licensing laws to ensure the safety of employee, volunteers and the public
• Will work closely with and collaborate with all departments and third- party clients to coordinate various events
• Reports any issues immediately to management
• Uses good problem solving abilities to identify and resolve daily issues.
• The person in this position needs to be able to work as a team player, be able to take instruction, as well as work independently.
• Maintains a positive atmosphere for Fort Steele Heritage Town.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Post-secondary certification/education in theatre or equivalent experience working in theatre.
• At least 5 years’ experience working within a live theatre setting
• Extensive experience working with directors, designers, promoters, producers, actors, technicians, management and volunteers
• Facility management experience an asset
• Working knowledge of lighting (traditional and digital), sound, rigging (including fly-rail) and special effects equipment and operation thereof
• Knowledge of set design and construction, stage properties and wardrobe
• Management/Supervisory/Administrative experience.
• Computer proficiency in a Windows environment
• Requires excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
• Requires collaborative and team focused work style
• Work environment is a combination of indoor, outdoor work and is conducted in all weather conditions
• Must wear period costume as required
• Working in a large tourist attraction with the general public
• Non- standard hours and or non- standard work week
• Must be physically fit as minor lifting is required
• Willing to work long hours
• Comfortable working at heights
• Willingness and skill level to be able to work with electricity, paints, finishes, and other potentially hazardous materials or elements
• Able work under pressure and to meet deadlines
Reports to the General Manager